Content is king, they say. We agree. A strong content marketing plan is critically essential for marketing success.
It's all about creating relevant content that resonates in the marketplace and advances your organizational objectives.
Your website is the medium for the message -- arguably the most effective and cost-efficient way to get your key messages out to market. Much cheaper than advertising and rivaled only by a good PR program, a strong website is your ticket to leveraging your content to build your brand and attract new customers.
With that in mind, our Chicago web design experts have developed a few key tips for website content strategy and execution. Follow this advice and you'll be on your way to telling a great story and getting superior results:
- Understand the Concept of an Information Annuity. Good website content is the gift that keeps on giving. Enterprise content creation is like investing in a 401K. The earlier you build up your inventory of good website content, the faster you'll start to reap the dividends. The value of web content compounds over time. For various reasons, content that has been on a website for many years is often viewed by the search engines to be more authoritative than new content on new websites. So, invest in content early and invest in content as often as you can.
- Win the Content Arms Race. When it comes to web sites, size matters. Suppose your competitor has 1,000 pages of content optimized for a certain phrase that is also important to you. Your site, in contrast, has only 5 pages of content. Guess who Google is going to view as being more authoritative? The competition, even if they are a tenth of your size. There's a content arms race underway. Do you have a content plan in place to win it?
- Garbage In, Garbage Out. We've noted above that size matters on the Internet. Quality runs a close second. Create crap content and you'll get crap results: little search engine traffic and unqualified prospects. The bottomline? Take the time to create meaningful content that is genuinely useful to the people you are trying to connect with.
- Core Messaging. Content on your website will cover a broad range of topics, but every piece of content on your site must drive home your core messaging. For us, core messages include Expertise (we know what we are doing), Results (we play for high score), Solutions (let's use the best tactics available to accomplish our shared goals), and Partnership (we want success as much as you do, as if we owned your company). What's your core messaging? Does your content should it out to your site visitors?
- Out of Site, Out of Mind. The cardinal sin for most companies is they create great content that rarely sees the light of day. Through SEO, site navigation, PR and social media, we help our clients to get a big ROI on content. It drives great business results, and, at the end of the day, that's what matters most.
Talk to Our Chicago Web Design Experts
Walker Sands is a Chicago web site design and online marketing firm. If you have questions about content marketing strategies, creating effective web content, aligning content with organizational goals, or other topics related to website content, please get in touch. We'd love the opportunity to present our credentials to you.